South Dakota One Call Board

Notice of Public Hearing

A public hearing will be held in AmericInn by Wyndham, in the Scottie Room, at 312 Island Dr. Fort Pierre, SD 57532 on July 11, 2024 at 10AM to 11:00 AM (Central) to consider the adoption and amendment of proposed Administrative Rules of South Dakota.





Projects that require contacting South Dakota 811 include
  • Planting a Tree
  • Installing
    a Drain
  • Installing
  • Loosening
any project that requires earth to be disturbed.

6 Easy Steps to Keep You Safe on Your Next Project.

Step 1

Register your drain tiles, irrigation lines, buried power, propane water or any other buried service that enters the public right of way with South Dakota 811.

Step 2

Contact South Dakota 811 two-business days before you dig.

If you’re doing the work yourself, please request a locate.

If you’re hiring someone to do the work for you, they must contact South Dakota 811.

Step 3

Locate private lines

Private lines could be water, propane or electrical lines running to out buildings.

Private lines are not located by the operators of underground facilities because those lines are not the property of the operators. Many electricians and plumbers are able to identify and locate private lines.

If there are private lines on your property, you should indicate or mark their location before digging.

Step 4

Wait for the locators to completely mark underground utilities

Don’t begin digging until all of the utilities listed on your ticket have marked your property and the two-business days have passed.

The list of utility companies notified is on the bottom of your ticket.

View Color Codes to Identify Locator Marks

Step 5

Dig with care

Any digging within 18” of the locators’ marks should be with hand tools only, until you can see the exact location of the underground utility.

If you did outside of the originally requested work area, you must request a new ticket to locate this additional area.

Step 6

Report any damages to underground utilities

Immediately report escape of flammable, toxic or corrosive gas or liquid to 911, South Dakota 811, and the utility company, if known.

If you did outside of the originally requested work area, you must request a new ticket to locate this additional area.

Do not attempt to repair any nicked or hit utility line.

Farm Taps

In 2017, the South Dakota Legislature approved the transfer of gas service lines previously owned by Northern Natural Gas to rural landowners. These farm tap customers own everything past the meter which is located at the transmission line. In some cases, the meter may not be on their property, but may be located across a road and on someone else’s property. The owner of the farm tap is responsible to register the facility with the South Dakota One Call Center, maintain the facility, and locate the facility when notified of any planned excavation near the line, just as any other utility. The owner will be billed a minimal fee for these notifications and must follow all South Dakota One Call laws and Administrative Rules.

Register your underground facilities View law regarding Farm Taps